Kolkata/ Dispur: Polling for the primary section of the meeting elections is underway within the states of West Bengal and Assam amid tight safety and strict Covid-19 protocols. Voting within the first section of Assembly elections in West Bengal and Assam has to this point been peaceable, amid minor skirmishes being reported in West Bengal.
More than half of the 73 lakh citizens within the 30 Assembly constituencies of West Bengal had already forged their vote and sealed the destiny of 191 candidates who’re within the fray on the primary day of the eight-phase elections within the state underway in 5 districts.
The Bharatiya Janata Party has claimed that party leader Suvendu Adhikari’s younger brother was allegedly attacked by the Trinamool Congress (TMC) supporters in East Midnapur district’s Contai town.
Expect some Electronic Voting Machine (EVM) glitches no major incidents reported so far from any of the poll bound Assembly segments of Assam where voting is being held in the Assamese heartland comprising the south and north banks of the Brahmaputra river.
Assembly Elections 2021: Latest Developments In West Bengal & Assam Phase 1 Polling
1. Average voter turnout in West Bengal was registered at 79.79 per cent till 5:30 pm.
2. Average voter turnout was registered at 72.14 per cent in Assam till 5:30.
3. With a view to enhance transparency and credibility of the election process, the Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) is being used along with Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) at all polling stations.
4. People were seen standing in long queues at the polling stations right from 7 a.m. when voting began.
5. Several voters were seen with gloves in one hand to maintain Covid-19 protocol in the wake of the surge in coronavirus cases.
6. All necessary facilities and security arrangements have been provided to ensure free and fair polling during this phase.
7. Polling is on for 30 assembly seats in West Bengal, which is witnessing a direct confrontation between the ruling TMC and resurgent BJP.
8. TMC eyeing a third term in office in West Bengal under Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee’s leadership.
9. Polling is on in 47 assembly seats in Assam where the BJP is eyeing yet another term in Assam under Sarbananda Sonowal’s leadership.
10. Timings have been extended at few polling stations due to the Covid-19 pandemic.