Summer is a time when most of Maharashtra is gripped in ‘mango mania’. Now whereas this yr issues could also be a bit subdued because of the present state of the pandemic, our love for the king of fruits right here in western India is aware of no obstacles. As is clear from the large number of mangoes out there within the market regardless of the restrictions. And what quite a lot of preparations we will make from the prized mango! From the tangy delights of the leathery, chewy aam papad and downing tall glasses of cooling aam Panna to a refreshing post-lunch bowl stuffed with haapus (Alphonso mango) chunks dunked in creamy vanilla custard, the mango is widely known in myriad candy methods.
Speaking of which, whereas savoury preparations utilizing mango are usually restricted to mango pickles, murrabbas and chutneys, we in Maharashtra have another relatively attention-grabbing ones in our culinary repertoire. Take, for example, the kairi bhaji. Here, freshly plucked green mangoes are cooked in a quite simple method to give you a very lip-smacking dish. A novel type of hybrid dish, this bhaji is a kind of pickle-meets-mango stew. One the place complete uncooked mangoes are skinned, chopped in medium-sized cubes (together with the tender, extremely nutritious seed core) and blended with an entire load of dry spice powders, in addition to after all onions and tomato. Just a little little bit of jaggery provides that unmistakable candy tinge to the in any other case bitter dish.
A veritable ritual at my dwelling, my caterer and cookery class teacher mom makes certain to whip up a batch of this bhaji nearly each week. As lengthy as her provide of inexperienced mangoes retains coming in recurrently, we at dwelling are assured an indulgence of this divine summer treat. One that we’re relatively unhappy to see the tip of when the mid-June monsoon season commences and we bid adieu to the beloved mango.
Now, whereas there isn’t any explicit kind of mango selection that is wanted to make the bhaji, Mum is partial in the direction of the aforementioned Alphonso mango. But one actually wants to make sure that the mangoes are nonetheless inexperienced and never ripe. As that may change all the style and texture profile of the dish.
So, go forward and do that kairi bhaji quickly earlier than the season’s out and do not forget to thank us later!
Also Read: Here’s How To Make India’s Favourite Aam Ras
Kairi Bhaji Recipe | Green Mango Stew Recipe
Recipe by Ann Dias
- Four uncooked mangoes (kairi) skinned and reduce into cubes together with seed
- three tbsp vegetable oil
- half of tsp mustard seeds
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- half of tsp jeera powder
- half of tsp haldi powder
- half of tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp dhania powder
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 small lime-sized ball of jaggery (gur).
- 1 cup of water
- Salt to style
- Heat oil in a pan over medium warmth and add mustard seeds and curry leaves until they splutter.
- Add within the chopped onions and tomatoes and calmly fry ensuring to not brown the onions an excessive amount of.
- Add in all of the dry masala powders together with ginger-garlic paste and fry effectively for 2 minutes until a paste is shaped.
- To the paste add within the mangoes, ensuring they’re effectively coated with the combination.
- Add within the water, jaggery and salt to style and prepare dinner on low flame for one more 7-Eight minutes until mango items are tender.
- Serve the kairi bhaji both as a principal dish by itself with chapatis or as a facet dish with dal and rice.
About Raul DiasA Mumbai-based author, Raul is an ardent devotee of the peripatetic lifestyle. When not churning out his meals and journey tales at a manic tempo, he might be discovered both hitting the highway for that elusive story or within the firm of his three canines!