Florida Governor Ron DeSantis Wednesday witnessed a chaotic begin to his 2024 presidential election race when glitches marred his interview hosted by Twitter proprietor Elon Musk because the programme supposed to formally launch DeSantis’ marketing campaign for the highest job. The Twitter broadcast of the hour-long misplaced sound for an prolonged interval and 1000’s of customers had been both unable to hitch or had been dropped. He enters the race for a Republican ticket in opposition to his one-time ally, former US president Donald Trump.
In keeping with information company Reuters, DeSantis, through the inauspicious begin of his marketing campaign, mentioned: “We should finish the tradition of shedding that has contaminated the Republican Occasion lately.”
The Florida governor positioned himself as a get-it-done govt who against the federal authorities’s insurance policies and put an indelibly conservative stamp on his house state.
The 44-year-old Republican candidate has instantly change into Trump’s largest rival for the Republican nomination due to his rising nationwide profile, Reuters reported.
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis: Expertise In US Navy, Guantánamo Bay, ‘Warfare On Woke Tradition’ — All About Him
- DeSantis, 44, was born in Florida’s Jacksonville to an Italian-American household. As per The Guardian, he’s described as a “native Floridian with blue-collar roots”. He was introduced up in Dunedin, a metropolis on Florida’s Gulf Coast the place his mom labored as a nurse and his father put in Nielsen TV rankings packing containers.
- DeSantis pursued BA in historical past from Yale and graduated from the College in 2001. After commencement, DeSantis briefly taught at Darlington Faculty, a personal boarding college in Rome, Georgia. In keeping with a New York Instances report printed in November 2022, a former scholar at Darlington claimed that DeSantis, whereas instructing civil struggle historical past, tried to “play satan’s advocate that the South had good cause to battle that struggle, to kill different individuals, over proudly owning individuals – Black individuals”.
After his stint at Darlington, DeSantis attended Harvard Regulation Faculty and graduated in 2005 with cum laude honors.
- At Harvard, DeSantis was commissioned into the US Navy as a decide advocate normal’s corps (JAGs) officer. Notably, he was stationed on the detention heart in Guantánamo Bay in 2006.
- An Al Jazeera op-ed reported former Guantánamo detainee Mansoor Adayfi as claiming that DeSantis was current and was “smiling and laughing” whereas Adayfi was being force-fed by guards in an try to finish his starvation strike. DeSantis responded to the Adayfi’s accusation, calling it “completely BS”.
- In 2007, he was deployed to Iraq the place he served as a authorized adviser to Seal Staff One. Later, he was awarded the Bronze Star Medal and Iraq Marketing campaign Medal.
- In 2012, DeSantis ran for the US Congress and served three phrases earlier than retiring in 2018 to run for Governor. In keeping with The Guardian, in 2015, DeSantis was amongst those that helped kind the ultra-conservative Home Freedom Caucus with the intention of shifting Republican management and insurance policies as far proper as attainable.
- The Florida Governor grew to become a nationwide determine attributable to his aggressive criticism of Covid measures together with lockdowns and masks mandates. He additionally unfold vaccine denialism amongst individuals.
- In Florida, DeSantis has launched a struggle in opposition to “woke” tradition with a slew of payments that had been criticised by civil rights organisations. In 2022, DeSantis permitted the so-called “don’t say homosexual” ban which aimed to cease discussions of sexual orientation and gender id at college throughout all grade ranges. In January this 12 months, he banned African American research from Florida’s excessive faculties claiming that the course “lacks instructional worth”.
He additionally signed a invoice approving a six-week abortion ban within the US state. As per The Guardian’s report, he has introduced plans to ban state schools from having applications on variety, fairness and inclusion, and important race principle.
- His spouse Casey DeSantis, a former tv host, is described as her husband’s “largest asset” who helped change his public notion be it serving to him contour his face or enjoying a high-profile position by her husband’s facet, the report talked about.